Okay, I know I shared my feelings about Whole30 last week, and they weren’t all positive… but I honesty really did enjoy putting together compliant meals. It’s not as hard when you’re solely thinking about it as a stand alone dinner, instead of a whole month of eating. 😂 But a Whole30 Chicken Taco Bowl?! I can make that happen, no PROBLEMO.
I’m a big fan of making salsa chicken, and it’s even easier during the week to pop it in your crock pot. Since I knew I wouldn’t be adding beans or grains to this dinner, I bulked up the chicken by adding a half a pepper and half an onion to the pot. Honestly, they melted into the shredded chicken so much that I should have added more! I actually changed this recipe to include a whole pepper and onion because I’m that confident it would be awesome. You could add even more if you want to! So yum!
To avoid grains, I used cauliflower rice… and the key for me is seasoning. I got the frozen kind from Whole Foods, so I just had to heat it up in a pan with a little olive oil! Season with salt, pepper, lime juice and red pepper flakes. You could even stir some chopped cilantro, too! And you can’t have a taco bowl without guac, right?! Luckily, most fresh guacamole is already Whole30 compliant, but this recipe is for a super simple version. Takes no time at all!
If you aren’t avoiding grains/carbs, you could definitely skip the cauliflower rice and go for brown rice or quinoa instead. I personally don’t really like leftover cauliflower rice, so if I was packing this for a lunch at work, I’d totally choose quinoa instead. Still healthy and filling!
Seriously, so good! If you’re not doing Whole30, along with swapping the rice, you could also add some black beans to the mix! It’s totally up to you… but I promise if you make this chicken taco bowl as is, it will be filling, flavorful and healthy. Such a weeknight win!
- 1-1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jar of salsa (I love Frontera Chipotle Salsa)
- 1 pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup of frozen cauliflower rice (per person)
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 limes
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- Adding your chicken, chopped pepper and onion, and salsa to your crock pot. Make sure everything is covered in salsa.
- Cook on high for 4 hours. Shred the cooked chicken.
- You can make your own cauliflower rice, but I recommend finding a frozen version to make this dinner easier. Whole Foods has a great version! Heat up with a little olive oil until warmed through. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Squeeze half of lime on top.
- Mash up one ripe avocado in a separate bowl. Add chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper, and the juice of one whole lime. Stir together.
- Assemble your bowl! First cauliflower rice, then top with chicken/peppers and your simple guacamole. Enjoy!