Now that summer is here, it’s officially BBQ Season! I love a good BBQ as much as the next gal, but I’m definitely one of those city dwellers who wishes I could host more activities like this! I mean, how are we all supposed to throw a BBQ if we don’t have a grill?! Or a patio? Or a backyard? Sighhhhh.
Luckily, since I can’t host my own, I’ve perfected the art of bringing side dishes to BBQs. Dips, salads, corn – I’ve done it all! But this Black Eyed Pea Salad might be one of my all time favorites. Especially when the spread is dominated with hot dogs and burgers, this veggie packed salad is usually much appreciated. It’s super fresh and surprisingly filling. Plus, there are tons of health benefits in there – from the protein in the beans to the vitamins in the red pepper to the multiple health benefits in apple cider vinegar. Oh yeah!
But the best part about this salad is that you can put it in a pyrex like this one, pop the top on, and easily bring it to the BBQ. No reheating necessary – and you don’t even need to transfer it to a prettier bowl. The only other thing you need is a good bottle of wine!
My current favorite is this bottle of Morgon by Domaine Mont Chavy. This wine is from the Beaujolais region, and it is often served chilled – which makes it the perfect red for summer! Also, you’ll definitely smell and taste some stone fruit aromas in this wine. And what says summer more than cherries and peaches?!
What do you like to bring to BBQs?
Do you have a favorite recipe to bring or are you the ones hosting and grilling up a storm?! And how do you feel about red wine in the summer?
- 2 cans black eyed peas
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- Drain black eyed peas and rinse. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the red bell pepper into bite sized pieces and add that to the bowl.
- Chop red onion, grape tomatoes, and cilantro and add those as well. Stir to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, combine minced jalapeno, minced garlic, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add vinaigrette to the salad and stir to combine. Right before you leave for the party, or right before you serve the salad, cut into your avocado and add that to your salad.
- Keep chilled and enjoy!
This post was sponsored by Beaujolais Wines, but (as always) all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Lake Shore Lady possible!