These buffalo chicken peppers are the perfect easy appetizer for game day!
Last year, I was tasked with creating a game day recipe with one of my favorite partners, Jewel-Osco for Instagram… and as I was developing the recipe, I knew that it wouldn’t be an insta only recipe because it’s just TOO GOOD! Not only is it a lighter alternative to the crockpot buffalo chicken dip we’ve all made for Super Bowl parties, but it also happens to be just as satisfying. And that’s enough for me to say GO FOOTBALL! 😉
I’ve always been a fan of stuffed peppers, but I had always made them with big bell peppers for dinner. They’re delicious, but definitely not an easy one-bite appetizer. Luckily, these sweet mini peppers aren’t just great for dipping – they’re also the perfect vessel for buffalo chicken! This recipe is such a delightful mix of spicy and creamy indulgence paired with the crunch of the fresh pepper. Mmmmmm! Plus, if you use a store-bought chicken, this comes together in about 15 minutes. Yeah, you read that right. Just 15 MINTUES!! Game day fun in no time at all!
Buffalo Chicken Peppers
1 bag sweet mini peppers
4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup buffalo sauce
2.5 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1/2 cup finely shredded Mexican cheese blend (+ more to put on top!)
- Wash the mini peppers and cut in half lengthwise, removing the seeds. Set them all on a lined baking sheet.
- Add cream cheese and buffalo sauce to a pot. Stir over medium low heat until the cream cheese has melted.
- Add shredded chicken and shredded cheese. Continuing stirring over the heat until the cheese has melted and the chicken is warm.
- Spoon the cheesy chicken mixture into the pepper halves.
- Top with more shredded cheese.
- Broil in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted on top.
- Serve with ranch dressing and enjoy!
Want to prep these Buffalo Chicken Peppers early?
If you want to make these buffalo chicken peppers for game day but you’re crazy busy – don’t worry! You can totally make them the day before. I recommend washing and cutting the mini peppers and lining them on a baking sheet. Then following steps 2-4, melting the cream cheese and buffalo sauce together and stirring the shredded chicken and cheese all together. Then spoon the chicken mixture into the pepper halves. At this point, transfer the baking sheet to the refrigerator. Whenever you’re ready to bake them, bring them to room temperature and then add the shredded cheese on top. Broil in the oven for 5 minutes, and serve immediately!
Other Recipe Notes
Use bell peppers.
You should be able to find mini peppers at stores like Jewel-Osco, but if not, there are other options. While I don’t recommend using bell peppers if you plan on serving this as an appetizer, but if you want to serve this for dinner, you can absolutely cut a bell pepper in half and fill each half with the cheesy chicken mixture. I’d recommend baking them at 375 degrees for 20 minutes so the pepper can get a little bit more tender though.
How To Shred Chicken
When I make this recipe, I usually just buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it up as soon as I bring it home. If you prefer to make your own, this post has very clear instructions on how to boil and shred chicken!
- 1 bag sweet mini peppers
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 2.5 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Mexican cheese blend (+ more to put on top!)
1. Wash the mini peppers and cut in half lengthwise, removing the seeds. Set them all on a lined baking sheet.
2. Add cream cheese and buffalo sauce to a pot. Stir over medium low heat until the cream cheese has melted.
3. Add shredded chicken and shredded cheese. Continuing stirring over the heat until the cheese has melted and the chicken is warm.
4. Spoon the cheesy chicken mixture into the pepper halves.
5. Top with more shredded cheese.
6. Broil in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted on top.
7. Serve with ranch dressing and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 45Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g