I wasn’t even planning on shooting this, but it was so easy to throw together/the light was so beautiful when I finished, that I thought “Why not?!” I don’t know about you, but I love meals that don’t require a lot of ingredients and come together super fast. Plus, even though there’s pasta, you’re also getting protein from chicken sausage and 2 heads of broccoli goodness. Not bad at all!
I used these chicken sausages, but you could use whichever kind you like. Regular sautéed chicken works too! And feel free to reach gluten free noodle if you’re into that. I’ve made it with quinoa pasta before and it was great!
Also, don’t you love my new serving bowl? It was a birthday gift from my sister – I’m OBSESSED!
- 3 smoked chicken sausages
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large lemon
- ½ lb penne
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- romano cheese (garnish)
- Start by boiling water for your pasta. You can cook penne like me, or go for a gluten free noodle if you want!
- Chop the garlic cloves and wash your broccoli heads. Cut the top portions into small pieces - don't be afraid to make a bit of a mess 😉
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Cut your chicken sausage into slices and brown in the pan. Remove and turn the heat down to low. *Side note: if you can't find or don't want to buy a pre-cooked/smoked chicken sausage, make sure you cook your raw chicken sausage all the way through during this step!
- Deglaze your pan with the juice from 1/4 of your lemon.
- Add all of your broccoli and minced garlic. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Saute until the broccoli is tender.
- Add the sausage back in. Once the sausages are warm, add your pasta noodles.
- Squeeze the rest of your lemon on top and toss to combine. You might need a little bit more olive oil or salt/pepper - go with your gut here!
- Serve with romano (or parmesan) cheese on top!