I wasn’t even planning on shooting this, but it was so easy to throw together/the light was so beautiful when I finished, that I thought “Why not?!” I don’t know about you, but I love meals that don’t require a lot of ingredients and come together super fast. Plus, even though there’s pasta, you’re also getting protein from chicken sausage and 2 heads of broccoli goodness. Not bad at all!
I used these chicken sausages, but you could use whichever kind you like. Regular sautéed chicken works too! And feel free to reach gluten free noodle if you’re into that. I’ve made it with quinoa pasta before and it was great. Totally your preference!
Also, don’t you love my new serving bowl? It was a birthday gift from my sister – I’m OBSESSED!
- 3 smoked chicken sausages (pre-cooked)
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 lemons
- ½ lb pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- parmesan or romano cheese (garnish)
1. Start by boiling water for your pasta. Cook according to your packaged instructions.
2. Mince the garlic cloves and wash your broccoli heads. Cut the crowns into small pieces - don't be afraid to make a bit of a mess!
3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan. Slice chicken sausage and add to the pan. Cook until heated through and browned. Remove from the pan and turn the heat to low.
4. Deglaze your pan with the juice from 1/2 a lemon.
5. Turn the heat back up and add all of your broccoli. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Saute until the broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes. (If you prefer to cut big pieces of broccoli, cover the pan for a few minutes to steam them.)
6. Add the minced garlic and saute for 2 more minutes. Add the chicken sausage back in.
7. Drain your cooked pasta noodles and add them to the pan with the broccoli and sausage.
8. Squeeze the juice of 1 whole lemon along with the remaining half over the pasta and toss to combine. If the pasta seems dry, add a little pasta water or 1 more tbsp of olive oil. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve with parmesan or romano cheese on top!