3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground ginger
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
6 tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 tsp vanilla
1) In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves until blended.
2) In another bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter, brown sugar and egg on a medium speed until blended.
3) Add the molasses and vanilla extract and continue to mix until well blended.
4) Starting on low, gradually add dry ingredients until dough is smooth. Increase speed as you go.
5) Let stand for 2 hours. (Dough can be stored in refrigerator for up to 4 days. Bring to room temperature before baking)
6) While dough is resting, preheat oven to 375 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
7) Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle more flour on dough and rolling pin and roll it out until it’s about 1.4 inch thick. Use more flour, if needed, to avoid sticking.
8) Cut out cookies with desired cookie cutter shapes. Then place on the baking sheet, spacing them out about 1 inch apart.
9) Bake for 7-10 minutes, depending on how crispy you like them. Remove carefully and let cool on a wire rack.
10) Once cookies are cool, decorate them!