Pineapple Fried Rice Recipe (Vegan/Vegetarian)
As much as I love posting recipes here, there are a few that I make ALL the time without measuring anything. I throw it together quickly on weeknights, after the nice natural light has gone away, and rarely think to share it with you. But a few weeks ago, I posted a quick picture of this on my insta-story and got tons of questions about the recipe, so… it was time to shoot this Pineapple Fried Rice!
Like I said, we make this a lot. I love it because it tastes comforting (for Adam), but it’s PACKED with veggies (for me!). It’s also nice that you can switch up the protein that you serve it with. We’ve made this with chicken, shrimp, and tofu – but our favorite is salmon. I just bake it at 425 degrees from 15-18 minutes. So so so good!
This recipe is also really flexible. If you have other veggies in your fridge, throw them in there! Peppers and broccoli just happen to be our favorite with pineapple, but we’ve also done this with carrots, water chestnuts, edamame, and peas. And of course, throw an egg in there if you’re a purist!
Would you make pineapple fried rice at home?
Pineapple Fried Rice
This Pineapple Fried Rice recipe is super easy - and vegan/vegetarian friendly! We usually add a piece of baked salmon on top, but you can add whatever protein you like best!
- 1.5 cups cooked brown rice (3/4 cup dry brown rice)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (about 1 cup diced)
- 1 pepper, chopped
- 4 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 big clove garlic
- 1 cup pineapple, chopped small
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp ginger paste (or fresh ginger)
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp water
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions (or use frozen brown rice from Whole Foods - one of my favorite weeknight cooking hacks!)
- Heat olive oil in nonstick pan.
- Add chopped broccoli, pepper, and onion.
- Sauté for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. If you want to speed this process up, you can add a tablespoon of water to the pan and cover it for a minute or two to steam the vegetables.
- While that is cooking, whisk 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp ginger paste, 1 tbsp hoisin sauce, 1/2 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp sriracha, and 1 tbsp water.
- Add pineapple and garlic to the vegetables and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add cooked rice. Stir to combine.
- Pour the whisked sauce over the top and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Serve with a protein of your choice. We love this with baked salmon!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 6.5gCarbohydrates: 70.6gFiber: 6gProtein: 9g
Want to remember this fried recipe recipe?
PS. You might also like my Stir Fry Recipe and Ginger Garlic Salmon with Cauliflower Rice.