I don’t know about you, but in the past, I always equated the word dehydrated with thirsty. But hydration goes far beyond that! Being dehydrated can affect your mood, energy levels, cravings… and yes, your skin! Here are a few things that can dehydrate you + a few ways to treat your skin better!
What can dehydrate your skin?
Dry Weather – I know humidity can suck, but without it, the air has way less moisture, which can effect our skin’s hydration.
Hard Water – Hard water can leave traces of minerals behind and make it difficult for soap to dissolve… but why does that matter? Well, it can leave some residue on your skin that dries you out! No bueno.
Sun Exposure – UV rays are powerful, guys! The sun can have a severe effect on your skin cells, so sun protection is key to keeping your skin hydrated.
Water Intake/Diet – Obviously, you know I was going to ask you if you’re drinking enough water, right? DUH. But beyond that, are you eating clean and hydrating your body from the inside out?
Temperature/Air Conditioning – We all know that our skin gets dry in the winter, especially in Chicago. Those cold winds are no joke! But before it gets freezing outside, be weary of how much you’re pumping that AC, because that can also dry you out.
Stress – Yes, stress can affect your natural hydration cycle! Isn’t that crazy? Stress is the WORST!
Okay, so how do I keep my skin hydrated?
1. Drink those 8 glasses of water every day. Just do it – even if 2 of them are sparkling! Still counts in my mind ?
2. In addition to drinking enough water, you can help your skin stay hydrated by eating more omega-3 fatty acids (salmon), Vitamin E (nuts), monounsaturated fats (avocado), Vitamin A (sweet potatoes), collagen, and olive oil.
3. Put on SPF and protect your skin from the sun!
4. If you always have an air conditioner or heater on in your home, try out a humidifier while you sleep. Humidifiers add moisture to the air, which prevents dryness and dehydration in your skin.
5. Use a gentle cleanser like Simple Miceller Cleansing Water. Not only does it remove makeup, but it helps wipe away impurities so your skin can breathe. Makeup remover, cleansing multi-vitamins, and skin hydration? Yes, yes and yes!
6. Grab a book and get in bed early. Okay, you don’t need to grab a book – but get in bed! One of the surefire ways to kick stress in the butt is to treat your mind and body to some REST. Get your stress under control, and your natural hydration cycle can get back in balance.
7. Add Simple Hydrating Booster to your routine. This stuff is seriously so lightweight and instantly adds moisture to your skin. Mix it in with your daily moisturizer, use as a treatment for specific dry areas, or use as a hydrating primer before you put on your makeup for that fresh, dewy look!
I’ve been using these two Simple products for a while now and I highly recommend both of them. It’s a great line for anyone with sensitive skin, it’s easy to incorporate into your daily routine, and the price points are so affordable!
Have you tried Simple products before?
This post was sponsored by Mirum Shopper, but (as always!) all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Lake Shore Lady possible!