Last week I had a ton of watermelon… and I had no idea what to do with it! It wasn’t the perfectly sweet kind that you can eat like candy in one sitting. But it also wasn’t bad – and certainly didn’t deserve to be thrown away! Luckily, my friend told me about a Watermelon Salsa she’d had recently and I immediately knew that was the answer. Yes, please!
This recipe is super flavorful, but also crazy simple. All you need are a few common ingredients and some patience. There’s a lot of chopping involved ?
hello, watermelon salsa!
It’s sweet, fresh, and a little spicy. Oh, and it tastes like summer!
- 1/4 watermelon
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow red pepper
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 limes
- Cut and clean the seeds out of the red, yellow and green peppers. Add 1/4 of each pepper to a food processor and pulse. This cuts your chopping time down a lot, and it adds moisture to the salsa.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Roughly mince the red onion, the other 1/4 of each pepper, and the jalapeño (remove the seeds unless you want the spicy).
- Add to the bowl with the peppers from the food processor.
- Squeeze lime juice into the mixture.
- Roughly chop cilantro and add that it in.
- Chop watermelon into pieces small enough to fit on a chip.
- Season with salt and chill in the refrigerator before serving.