These Whole30 Egg Muffins are perfect for meal prep – whether you’re doing Whole30 or not!
I’ve seen the concept of egg muffins all over the internet for years now (cough Pinterest), but for some reason I’ve never made them! I literally could not tell you why… besides the fact that I’m terrible at meal prepping. Haha it’s true! I’ll make big batches of meals so I can eat it a few times that week, but I’ve never been a “prep your veggies and proteins on a Sunday” kind of gal. Luckily, this recipe doesn’t require you to turn into a meal prep-er. It just requires some time to chop and bake and then it’s back to regularly schedule programming.
But just in case any of you are also hesitant for some reason, I’m here to tell you that these little guys are actually kind of a lifesaver – whether you’re trying to stay on track within the 30 days or not. I don’t know about you, but there’s not always time during the week to make breakfast and/or lunch every day. Luckily, you can whip up 12 of these protein packed savory egg muffins on Sunday and just heat em up Monday-Friday. Low stress mornings for the win!
Not doing Whole30?
Make these anyway! They’re perfect for anyone who might be in a healthy/easy breakfast rut, or someone who just really likes eggs 🙂 I like to top mine with some compliant hot sauce and serve alongside roasted sweet potato slices (another thing you can prep on Sunday!). As for the ingredient list… I’ll explain more of my thoughts on this “diet” in a later post, but I’ve realized that I don’t like eating so much meat, especially in the morning. So once I’m done with the 2 weeks I committed to (this weekend!), I’ll ditch the meat and load even more veggies in there. I think spinach and sun dried tomatoes would be a good combo, right?! YUM!
How to make Whole30 Egg Muffins:
If you are vegetarian or prefer not to eat meat in the morning (I've discovered that's me!), just skip the sausage and make it with more veggies!
- olive oil spray (or just olive oil)
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 2 chicken sausages
- 8 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray your muffin tin with olive oil spray.
- Chop your onion, pepper and mushrooms.
- Remove chicken sausage from it's casing and add it to a hot pan. Break the meat up as it cooks. Once browned, remove from the pan.
- Add onion, pepper and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and saute until the vegetables are soft. Remove from the pan and add to the same bowl as the cooked chicken sausage. Stir to combine.
- Whisk 8 eggs in a large bowl.
- Add vegetables into each muffin tin, followed by chicken sausage, followed by whisked eggs.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
Want to remember this recipe later? Pin the image below!